Inspired Forward is an Amazon Affiliate partner, as well as an affiliate partner with other bloggers and affiliate programs. We may receive a commission from products purchased through affiliate links in this post.
Diabetic ketoacidosis is a dangerous medical complication of type 1 diabetes. Even if you're already diagnosed, it's possible to experience DKA if your pump site kinks, you have bad insulin, and many other circumstances.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What causes it.
- The risk factors for going into DKA.
- Symptoms to watch out for.
- How to treat it.
- Prevention in the future.
We also briefly touch on the difference between diabetic ketoacidosis and nutritional ketosis. We also mention ketone strips. Below, you can see what a generic bottle of ketone strips looks like:
Wins & Fails
Colleen's Win: This is my first non-diabetes-related win of the podcast! I'm writing an epic fantasy novel and am publishing in November this year (2021). To sign up for updates, visit talahm.com.
Jessie's Fail: She tried some new patches to cover her CGM, but they didn't last as long as her usual ones.
Hack or Tip of the Week
Share the warning signs of diabetic ketoacidosis. Your coworkers and bosses, your classmates and teachers can all benefit from knowing the signs. Sometimes we’re so in our own heads that we don’t recognize signs and symptoms of DKA in the moment that we need another person clued in on it. Let other people help look out for you.
The University of Edinburgh in Scotland released a new cancer treatment. Since cancer can behave similarly to diabetes (Jessie explains in the episode), this is another step toward a cure.
"Scientists from the University of Edinburgh believe the SeNBD molecule can trick cancerous cells into ingesting them when combined with a chemical food compound without harming healthier cells.
The molecule - which is smaller than existing light-sensitive treatments—can pass through the body’s defences more easily, according to research carried out on human and zebrafish cells.
But further tests are required to determine whether the drug can be used as a safe and quick method of treating early stage cancers and drug-resistant bacteria."
Question for You!
Have you been in diabetic ketoacidosis or know someone who experienced DKA? What was your experience?
Links & Resources
- Support the blog & podcast by buying us a coffee through Ko-fi!
- Follow on Facebook
- Join my free Facebook Group, Life & Mindset Coaching.
- Nutritional Ketosis for Weight Management and Reversal of Metabolic Syndrome
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA): Causes, Symptoms, Treatments
- Does Insulin Expire? Storage, Safety, and How to Tell If Your Insulin Has Gone Bad
- DKA (Ketoacidosis) & Ketones | ADA
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis | Diabetes
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatments - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatments
- The Scary Experience Of Diabetic Ketoacidosis | The LOOP Blog
- Edinburgh scientists invent game-changing cancer drug that can hunt down cells
- Cancer breakthrough: Edinburgh University researchers successfully test 'Trojan horse' drug
- Episode 51: Diabulimia
Our music is by Joseph McDade. Check out his website here!