Inspired Forward is an Amazon Affiliate partner, as well as an affiliate partner with other bloggers and affiliate programs. We may receive a commission from products purchased through affiliate links in this post.
This is an interview I looked forward to for quite a while. Aaron Holyfield is a police officer friend of mine who wanted to get a better understanding of what police officers should know about type 1 diabetes.
As a police officer, he didn’t receive a lot of training on how to interact or deal with situations involving a diabetic medical emergency. For the first half of this interview, he asked me a lot of questions about diabetes, my experience with it, and what he should look for to identify a type 1 diabetic needing help.
Since this interview ran for nearly an hour, we forewent a win, fail, hack, and news for this week. Just sit back and find out just what you need to do as a type 1 diabetic to help your local police officers in case you’re the one in trouble. The simplest answer is just that police officers should know that you have diabetes in the first place.
To connect with Aaron on Instagram, you can search for “Aaron Ocaria” or just follow the link.
- Connect with Aaron on Instagram!
- Helping First Responders Spot Lows (Diabetes Forecast)
- Law Enforcement Training (American Diabetes Association)
- Philadelphia Police Department “Assist Officers” (PDF Warning!)
- Cops vs. Diabetics (The Washington Post)
- 5 Rules for Interacting with Police When You Have Type 1 Diabetes (myGlu)
- Living on the Street with Diabetes: How Can We Help? (Healthline)
- Ask D’Mine: Homeless with Diabetes (Healthline)
- Support us on Patreon!
- Connect on Facebook!
- Listen directly on Buzzsprout, our podcast host!
Want to Read or Listen to More?
- 25 Truth Bombs to Make You Re-Think Type 1 Diabetes
- The Stress Associated with Type 1 Diabetes
- What is Type 1 Diabetes and Why You Should Care
- What Burnout Looks Like in a Type 1 Diabetic
- World Diabetes Day is About Visibility
- What I’ve Learned from 20 Years at Panther Camp
- 4 Things Type 1 Diabetics Have to Watch Out For
- How to React When Family Members Joke About Diabetes
- This is What a Day as a Type 1 Diabetic Looks Like