Inspired Forward is an Amazon Affiliate partner, as well as an affiliate partner with other bloggers and affiliate programs. We may receive a commission from products purchased through affiliate links in this post.
Today we’re talking about insurance and non-medical switching, which relates to insurance. This is something I had to study and learn about, especially when I got my first job.
This episode should help diabetics who are confused about what insurance is, how it works, and why some options are better than others. We’re coming from the perspective of corporate employer insurance and not the Healthcare Exchange, which is more complicated and not something we have experience with.
Wins & Fails
Colleen’s Win: I’ve been trying to fine-tune my basal rates and had a perfect day of blood sugars!
Jessie’s Fail: Did a site-change but accidentally left bubbles in the reservoir. She was high all day before changing the site and experiencing a low blood sugar.
Hack of the Week
Sometimes when changing infusion sites, it takes a while for the site to “kick in” with the insulin. One thing Jessie and I occasionally do is give a small injection with a syringe to “kickstart” the site. We have to be careful with this as it won’t show up as active insulin (or insulin on-board) on the pump, which could affect boluses within that time window.
Diabetes in the News
This is the algorithm that will deal with high blood sugars. Tandem’s Basal-IQ already suspends insulin for predicted low blood sugars, but this introduction of Control-IQ will help close the loop even further.
Question for You!
What are some of your biggest gripes with insurance? And related to that, do you have any good experiences with insurance as a Type 1 Diabetic?
Non-Medical Switching Video
- How Does Health Insurance Work? (MoneyCrashers)
- UnitedHealthcare Insulin Pump Policy (JDRF)
- Intro to COBRA Health Insurance (Investopedia)
- Non-Medical Switching Video (Alliance for Patient Access)
- Support us on Patreon!
- Connect on Facebook!
- Listen directly on Buzzsprout, our podcast host!
- 25 Truth Bombs to Make You Re-Think Type 1 Diabetes
- The Stress Associated with Type 1 Diabetes
- What is Type 1 Diabetes and Why You Should Care
- What Burnout Looks Like in a Type 1 Diabetic
- World Diabetes Day is About Visibility
- What I’ve Learned from 20 Years at Panther Camp
- 4 Things Type 1 Diabetics Have to Watch Out For
- How to React When Family Members Joke About Diabetes
- This is What a Day as a Type 1 Diabetic Looks Like