Inspired Forward is an Amazon Affiliate partner, as well as an affiliate partner with other bloggers and affiliate programs. We may receive a commission from products purchased through affiliate links in this post.
Ever wonder which diabetes community apps are available? The DOC (diabetes online community) is huge, but finding an app that works for you can be challenging.
Many T1Ds haven't ever met another T1 in real life, so diabetes community apps are the next best thing.
The apps we highlight in this episode are:
- The Diabetes App. We did an interview with the CEO and (newly promoted) COO of The Diabetes App which you can listen to here.
- BeyondType1. You might already know about this one because it was co-founded by Nick Jonas, who everyone just saw on Dexcom's Superbowl ad spot this year.
- Facebook groups. Seriously, just search for one. You'll find hundreds to choose from.
- College Diabetes Network, or CDN. If you're a college student or high schooler, this will be a great resource for you.
- Children With Diabetes. Be a FFL, or Fiffle, every year in Orlando.
- JDRF Type1Nation Forum.
- Tu Diabetes
Wins & Fails
Colleen's Win: We moved to Missoula, Montana almost a month ago, and we did it without any terrible blood sugars. I'll go more in depth on this in an upcoming episode.
Jessie's Fail: Jessie's slightly overwhelmed with school and getting ready for college at MSU (Montana State University) and it's affecting her blood sugars.
Hack or Tip of the Week
Join at least ONE diabetes community. It doesn't even have to be online. Just try one. You won't regret it.
Insulet’s Omnipod 5 automated insulin delivery system was shown to be effective, safe, and easy to use for adults, teens, and children with type 1 diabetes. Early results from a very small group also show Omnipod 5 to be particularly helpful for people with type 2 diabetes.
This is the Omnipod version of Tandem's Control IQ algorithm and Medtronic's Automode.
This is a big step forward for Omnipod users who have wanted a closed-loop system or an integration with their CGMs.
As of this recording, it is still in trials, but the Omnipod 5 has been submitted to the FDA and will hopefully have clearance in time for the planned product launch this year, 2021.
Question for You!
What’s your favorite diabetes community app? Have you tried any of the ones we talked about? Did we miss one that everyone needs to know about?
Links & Resources
- Support the blog & podcast by buying us a coffee through Ko-fi!
- Follow on Facebook
- Join my free Facebook Group, Life & Mindset Coaching
- Episode 77: The Diabetes App
- Episode 20: Celiac & T1D, with Alexa Brenner
- Medtronic Diabetes | Diabetes Online Communities
- The Diabetes App - The Diabetes App
- BeyondType1 Community Forum
- College Diabetes Network
- Children with Diabetes
- Children with Diabetes Forums
- JDRF TypeOneNation Community Forum
- Diabetes Daily Forums
- TuDiabetes | A Community of People Touched by Diabetes
Our music is by Joseph McDade. Check out his website here!