It’s easy to get sucked into the trap that other people have it all figured out. It’s easy to think that if we just did the same things that those successful people we look up to do, that we’d have it made. There are a lot of problems with that idea, not the least of which is that other people’s goals are not and never will be the best goals… For you.
Raise your hand. How many times have you looked at someone’s success and thought that maybe you could do that too?
- Create an online course
- Travel the world for free
- Have a perfectly curated life (and showing the best of the best on social media)
- Run a marathon, free-climb in Yosemite, or perform slick stunts on the ski slope
- Build a multi-million dollar online empire
- Get a TV special with your name on it
- Host a talk show
How many times do we, as a society, look to others for what we should be doing with our lives?
It’s great for inspiration, to be sure… But adopting others’ achievements (and goals) as our own doesn’t ever end up how we think it will.