Inspired Forward is an Amazon Affiliate partner, as well as an affiliate partner with other bloggers and affiliate programs. We may receive a commission from products purchased through affiliate links in this post.
Welcome to The Journey to Magnificence! This is week thirty-six: October 14 – 20, 2018.
This week marked a turning point in my mindset – tracking time is part of what makes me feel on top of things, makes me feel better about myself, and can tell me what I’m wasting time on (like reading Harry Potter fanfiction for four hours straight), and where I have time to really get things done.
I also think I may have finally figured out this whole prioritization thing.
What I Said I’d Do
- Track my time for at least 80% of the time, but preferably way more. One of the biggest problems I had with the time tracker is if I missed recording a block I felt like I had to clear out the whole column otherwise it would mess up the calculations for averages and totals.
- Pick my top priority and do that to completion before moving on to the next thing. I’ll do my best not to do “two things at once” (not multitasking, but multi-prioritizing).
What I Actually Worked On
- Tracked my time 100% of the time
- Got website back up and running (minor plugin problem)
- Hand-copied chapters 14-20 of the Book of Acts
Days 246 – 252
I will be totally and completely honest with you.
Getting back into tracking my time made me feel SO much better about everything, despite the fact that a few “crises” popped up trying to derail me.
For one, this site had an HTTP Error 500 from Thursday morning (when I first saw it) until Saturday morning (when I had time to call GoDaddy to fix it).
On Thursday, this made me frustrated with a lot of things unrelated to the site being down, and I was able to recognize that I was letting that one thing dictate how I felt about the rest of the day.
And then I let it go.
I had other things to do – my day job, a prearranged dinner with my favorite cousin, and movie night.
On purpose, I didn’t make it a priority because overall, one of my bigger goals (or priorities) is to go with the flow as much as possible. If I can’t control it, I generally won’t fight it unless I’m deeply invested.
Now that seems contradictory.
How can I not be deeply invested in this website?
I totally am.
But I also recognized that I couldn’t put everything else aside in order to spend half an hour on hold with GoDaddy to get it fixed on Thursday morning.
What’s Most Important?
One of the concepts I’ve been recently trying to grasp and understand is the idea that at any moment, there is only ONE MOST IMPORTANT THING.
That one thing is my priority at that moment.
On Thursday morning, my most important thing was getting to work on time for a team meeting.
Not my blog.
Not my side hustle.
And that’s okay!
It’s okay to make the decision to leave your website non-functioning if you have other things that are, at that moment in time, MORE IMPORTANT.
It’s also okay to feel guilty about it (or not guilty).
On Thursday I felt kinda bad leaving the site down, but, at the moment, Inspired Forward is not my life.
My LIFE is my life.
Choose your priorities wisely.
And don’t get sucked into the idea that URGENT means IMPORTANT.
- Finish writing, editing, and scheduling the posts & social media for November – in order to focus completely on NaNoWriMo
- Flesh out the outline/plan for my NaNo book so I’m ready to hit the ground running on November 1st.
If you missed a post or found this one first, the others can be found here:
- Intro: Tell Your Inner Voice to Shut Up
- 1: I Started the Thing!
- 2: Step Out of My Comfort Zone
- 3: When Plans Go Out the Window
- 4: Trying Out a Magic Notebook
- 5: Lessons from Unintentional Black Ski Runs
- 6: In Which We Adopt a Cat!
- 7: Curious Cat Enjoys All Existing Cords as Snacks
- 8: Mother Gothel SUCKS
- 9: Black Panther’s Sister is My Spirit Animal
- 10: A Plan is Coming Together
- 11: A Great-Grand Cat
- 12: My Calves Are Dead
- 13: Being Intentional Works
- 14: I’ll Raise You a Flash Flood with Hail
- 15: I Remembered Why I Hate Muggy Weather
- 16: The Magic of Sticky Notes
- 17: Time Tracking is a F*cking GAME CHANGER
- 18: So I’m a Writer for Medium Now
- 19: LA Traffic Scares the Sh*t Out of Me
- 20: I’m a Real Writer Now (AKA I Got Paid)
- 21: A Schedule for Quarterly Batching
- 22: Diabetes Camp Rocks
- 23: Plans Derailed by New Opportunities
- 24: Charming Friends
- 25: Knocking Out the Backlog
- 26: Welcome to the Deep End, Start Swimming
- 27: First Time in Philadelphia!
- 28: Bare-Ass Minimum Week…
- 29: End of Challenge 1, Start of Challenge 2
- 30: Lots of Pinterest, and Then Productivity
- 31: Early Champagne, Late BAM
- 32: Feeling Overwhelmed…AGAIN
- 33: Conference, Round 1
- 34: Conference, Round 2
- 35: So Much for Having Time – Make It Instead